View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
DingoBongo

BananaBucks : 7,848
Said "Thanks" 23 Times
Was Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Soil drainage question

I recently got 4 banana pups (Musa Basjoo). I originally potted them with Miracle Gro because that's what the guy who sold them to me said to use. I noticed the soil stayed wet for many days after watering even when they were out in the sun, so I figured it wasn't draining well. One died, likely from root rot, so I repotted them all with 50% Fox Farms soil and 50% perlite, also in smaller pots than they were in (about 1 gallon). I noticed when I water them now water still isn't draining out of the bottom. Is that a problem? Maybe the soil is packed too tightly? It seems to dry out still after a couple days but I thought with all the perlite it would drain better. The plants haven't looked too happy or grown much since I got them about three weeks ago so I'm wondering what's wrong.
DingoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To DingoBongo

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors