View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Illinistu

BananaBucks : 2,806
Said "Thanks" 10 Times
Was Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default HELP! Musa Basjoo leaves choking

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member. I've read through the forums for the last few years but never joined. I've been a Musa Basjoo owner for several years now. Last year was the first year for my current plant. I cut it down (to about 2 ft height) and wintered it as normal. Due to the late cold this spring I waited longer than normal to uncover it. As a result the first leaf/shoot was pushing against the top of the container and was curled up. However, after some time and fertilizer it finally got going and was growing well. I used a mixture of "Banana Fuel" fertilizer and Miracle Grow. I normally just fertilize with the Banana Fuel but wanted the extra nitrogen of the Miracle Grow to get it going from its stunted start. Unfortunately, over the last couple of weeks something is starting to go wrong. My leaves are getting smaller and opening before they completely emerge from the pseudostem (see pictures). I've never had this happen before and don't know what is causing this. Can anyone tell me what is causing this and what I can do to get my banana back on track to growing normally and producing nice big leaves? Thanks!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Illinistu : 06-26-2020 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Photos not appearing with post
Illinistu is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Illinistu
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors