View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sundra

BananaBucks : 26,727
Said "Thanks" 500 Times
Was Thanked 345 Times in 148 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Potting Soil for Florida Variegated

So after giving up on e-bay, I finally placed an order for Variegated Florida from a Thailand shop about a month ago. The plant is due to ship later this month, (EMS of course!)

Here's where I'm having an moment

They ship bareroot. The webpage states absolutely no fertilzer until the plant has acclimated itself and put out decent new growth, approximately 3 new leaves.

I didn't think this was going to be an issue until i realized I can't for the life of me find potting soil without some form of fertilizer added or naturally occuring, anywhere!

My local soil is heavy clay so out of the question.

I thought I'd get clever and buy topsoil but that stuff is heavier than the dang clay soil.

Even amended with perlite, I just don't think those very heavy soils would be a good idea, not with how sensitive AeAe--even the hardier Florida strain-- are to root rot when young.

I did contact the shop owner, and he was very nice and quick to respond. Said to use ALL perlite. Hey, he probably knows what he's doing, his shop is long established and has a good reputation, but I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about it and thought I'd ask you guys first--and for alternatives.

So....

Those of you with Florida Variegated, did any of you also recieve yours bareroot? Or even if not, did any of you pot yours up right away? My obvious question: what freaking soil did you use?!

I'm not panicking at all...
Sundra is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Sundra
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors