Thread: Raja Puri!!
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Akula

Zone: Zone 9a
BananaBucks : 70,424
Said "Thanks" 2,540 Times
Was Thanked 2,381 Times in 809 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 128 Times
Default Raja Puri!!

I'm starting this thread to collect data and post progress on my Raja Puri. If you are growing an RP post up in the thread so we get a better understanding of this plant in different zones and environments.

I obtained the original RP corm from Mark Dragt in early summer and planted it out in my new patch in early July. After winter 2019-2020 I cut into the original plant to clear what I thought was a choke and accidently cut into a flower so original plant is done in early Spring 2020 however it had a pup in September 2019.

The RP pup can be seen to the left of the original plant as of September 13, 2019 in the first photo. Its about a foot tall. In the May 4, 2020 photo the pup is now approximately 5' tall with a good amount of leaves. It has grown 18" since approximately mid March. So from September 2019 to May 4, 2020 the RP has grown 5' which includes the winter months of November-February.

My understanding is that the plant should fruit anywhere between 5' and 8' which based on its current growth rate would put a flower in July. I understand RP takes five months for the fruit to develop.

My question to those who have experience with RP in warm climates Zone 9 and higher is how long does it take for your RP to go from emerging pup to flowering? I'm trying to pick which month to select the pup which will be the follower with the goal to get it across the winter and then fruit in July 2021 after about four months of new growth. I've figured out that between May 15 - June 15th is the ideal time for my tall namwas but this thing seems to grow faster relative to the height at which it flowers. Thanks!!

September 13, 2019

May 4, 2020
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Akula
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors