View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 05:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
cincinnana
container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
BananaBucks : 613
Said "Thanks" 3,865 Times
Was Thanked 11,705 Times in 4,870 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,943 Times
Default Re: Building/buying a container for a dwarf namwah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzonian View Post
I'm having trouble finding large pots suitable for a dwarf banana. I was looking for a 25-30 gallon, but it seems the only option for that might be an expensive whiskey barrel at the local home depot(And it may only be 20 gallons!) The local nursery only has 15 gallon pots.

I looked into building a box planter myself, but I lack the saws and drills needed and lumber is freakin' expensive! Yowch, that was kinda crushing.

What if I get an opaque plastic tote box, make some holes in the bottom, and fill it with potting mix? Home depot and walmart have some, but they are rectangular in shape. For example, there's a 35 gallon measuring 20x35x18 inches, or a 25 gallon measuring 21x31x15 inches. I don't suppose these longer boxes would be suitable for a dwarf namwah? If they are, they are the most affordable and by far the easiest option for me. If only they were more square and a few inches deeper.

Any other ideas?
A great inexpensive source is your areas Craigslist.
Browse the free section and garden section or do a site wide search
55 gallon barrels can be found for 5-10 dollars in fantastic colors like blue, white and brown.
Just cut them in half or 3/4 and you have a great durable container.
Sidewalls are 1/4 inch UV resistant material.
Do a Youtube search and pick and choose what will work for you.

Plastic totes from the big box will fail when exposed to excessive sunlight over the summer. They are not UV resistant.
For short term they will work but sunlight causes them to deteriorate and become brittle.