View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 04:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
smeash

Zone: 9a
BananaBucks : 21,109
Said "Thanks" 385 Times
Was Thanked 872 Times in 443 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 67 Times
Default Re: ok.. so what do i have here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemooreflorida View Post
1. there is very little blue coloring on the Blue Java fruits in all reality (many pics online are photoshoped) and 2. Blue java is good, but its still a banana and nothing crazy exotic tasting....

the dwarf namwa is an awesome producing plant and great tasting banana. They produce a ton of pups that can be removed and planted elsewhere for a never ending supply of bananas if you want.. i'd say the dwarf namwa produces 2X as many pups vs. the blue java.
That's great to know! Now im kind of hoping these are in fact dwarf namwa! Propagation is in fact a goal for me, as I have many areas of my yard where a stand of bananas would do well, and really add to the landscape. When I planted my papayas last year, I planted 5 on the south side of my house, and 3 down near the water. those 3 outproduced the ones near my house, but all 3 suffered extreme damage from lack of protection from the north wind. 2 of those are growing back, but one is a goner. The 5 on the south side, never even had a leaf droop or die, and have already set fruit last month! They get far less sun than those down by the water, but it seems the cold protection has propelled them far ahead of the others this year. I would love to interplant some bananas with them as I think the location is perfect to protect from cold. I know I will have to heavily fertilize and pile on the manure as both species are heavy feeders, but I think they would all do well together.
smeash is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To smeash
Said thanks: