Thread: Pisang Klotek
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
venturabananas

Zone: 10
Name: Mark
BananaBucks : 238,889
Said "Thanks" 1,752 Times
Was Thanked 3,968 Times in 1,713 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 39 Times
Default Re: Pisang Klotek

I don't have any photos handy, but I got PK from the original source, Momoese. It makes wonderful fruit, but I got rid of it because it is so darn tall. I think the shortest p-stem height mine every fruited at was 12' for the original mother plant, and the rest were always 14-16' and usually would collapse under their own weight without propping of bunches, or get blown over in hight winds. I think mine were particularly tall because they were crowded and searching for light. I was sad to remove them from my yard because there were my favorite variety to eat, but they were just too difficult to manage in my small, crowded yard, and it got to the point I could get a ripe bunch because they would collapse prior to ripeness and I couldn't prop them at the height they got, when so crowded.

A couple other comments:
If you have plenty of room to space them so they get good light, they should fruit shorter, but probably will still need propping. If you have the space, PK is fantastic for flavor and absolutely worth growing. I just wish there was a dwarf version!

It's a resilient plant that grows very well and doesn't mind cool weather. But hardly anything is as tough as Namwah, so that's maybe not a very fair comparison.

I grew PK and Pisang Ceylan side by side for years. They were indistinguishable in height, flavor, or anything else. I know Crazy Banana noted some differences, but neither of us have enough replication to say anything definitive about whether they are the same variety or different. Personally, I think they are the same.