View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
cincinnana
container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
BananaBucks : 1,025
Said "Thanks" 3,860 Times
Was Thanked 11,691 Times in 4,865 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,943 Times
Smile Re: Looking for more volunteers to help with moderator tasks

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyc View Post
We have a few moderators here at bananas.org but it is primarily up to me to take care of that work here. I do not handle things like changing the way the forum works, password problems, etc. (those are handled by site admin MediaHound) but deal mostly with spam, banning spammers, and rarely suspending or banning someone that has not followed the rules here.

I get very busy at times with my own work and cannot always respond to spam problems when they get reported. About twice a year I am super swamped with work and don't have time to check much for spam during a period of a few weeks. I sometimes find another moderator has stepped in and banned the spammer but not deleted the spam posts. I handle at least 95% of the spam here and this morning was fun with a dozen or so folks reporting that one new spammer had posted 109 spam posts. Only one person reported another spam post by a new spammer but that new spammer has repeated registered new accounts using the same IP address.

I've discussed my workload with MediaHound and he has suggested that I make this post asking for some volunteers. This is not a glorious job but does help keep it a nicer community. I can help provide some tips to make the job faster and to help head off future spam posts (often a spammer has also registered other accounts which they haven't even used yet).

To deal with a single ID and just a few spam posts, it should not take more than five minutes to deal with once you've read the comments by the person that reported the spam. Sometimes I can spend 30 minutes cleaning up garbage. I get tired of doing it mostly all alone.

If you'd like to offer your help, please reply to this thread and please provide some of the following:
1. Experience with moderating at other forums, particularly ones using vbulletin
2. What time zone and hours you may be able to help out.
3. What general skills and traits you possess that can be helpful carrying out these tasks. You'll need to be able to remain calm and objective and not let your own personal disputes with others enter into your decisions carried out in this roll.

Thanks,

Harvey
Is this a paid obligation?

And what are the terms.......