View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
bananaman20
bananaman20

Zone: Zone 9b
Name: bananaman20
BananaBucks : 2,078
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Joy Looking for Dwarf Banana Recommendation

Hello,

I'm new to bananas.org but not new to growing bananas. I live just north east of Tampa Florida in zone: 9b. I have successfully grown the Blue Java (ice cream) banana for the past 5 years. Over that time, I have harvested approximately 800 ice cream bananas. My Blue Java trees have grown over 15 feet tall and have become too much work for me to control and maintain. I definitely enjoy the vanilla flavor and creamy texture of the ice cream banana, but it's time for me to make a change.

I'm looking to purchase and grow a dwarf banana variety that normally grows 5 to 7 feet tall at the pseudostem. I do not want to grow a Cavendish type banana like is commonly carried in grocery stores. I prefer the flavor and texture of the Manzano banana that is creamy with a hint of apple like flavor. Even though I live in a very warm climate, in the winter we sometimes receive a couple cold nights where the temperature can be in the high 30's or low 40's. I'm use to having to deal with some winter kill on my Blue Java bananas but they recovery very quickly after the return of warm weather.

I would greatly appreciate it, if members would provide me with dwarf banana variety recommendations that I should consider for my selection. If you would provide me the proper and common names for the varieties as well as the growth habits, cold weather tolerance, disease resistance and most importantly the fruit normal size, flavor profile and texture.

Thank you so much for your assistance.:
bananaman20 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bananaman20
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors