View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #43 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,661
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: 2019 -Update on My Bananas

At my small nana patch, I had 2 Orinoco's to flower in early November and 2 more to flower the 1st week of Dec. Another flowered 2 days before Christmas. These I did not expect to make because of coming cold weather. However, I did cut one of the early November bunches with 4 hands. It ripened and was great eating. 2 of these are still growing. .... Another Orinoco bunch flowered. after the 1st of the year. The wind broke that stalk this week. That bunch had 4 small hands showing.

Of the earlier growing bunches because of the first cold snap going to 30 deg. I cut 4 bunches and finished ripening these in the green house. The banana fingers were filled out and 2 of the bunches were just being to show a little yellow. I eat bananas, gave some away and made nana chip from 3 bunches. I have a gallon can of nana chips I'm still munching on.

... Now yesterday, I found that the 1000 finger nana has flowered within the last 2 weeks. It's showing 4 or 5 hands. I think the coming cold weather will get this one. All the leaves are frost burnt from the last low temp drop 2 weeks ago. This one is a first for me. ... There are 2 more 1000 finger stalks about 1 ft shorted & same diameter and a 3rd one that looks promising to flower this coming season if a hard freeze doesn't kill the stalk to the ground.

At the large patch, in late November or early Dec. I had 1 dwf Namawa to flower and 2 dwf Brazilians to flower. Yesterday when I was trimming dead leaves. I found 2 flowers on the Blue Java (damn those could have waited 2 more months). Cold weather will get these too. ... Of the growing summer bunches I cut 3 of those. The Dwf Namawa bunch ripened in the green house. It was great eating with a very good banana flavor after the peel turned completely black. These finger were about 2x's bigger than your thumb 1" dia. X 3 or 3 1/2" long. Nano's ... And they has a BLUE coloring on the peel.

Now ... who the hell stole my FHIA 1 bunch???? That bunch had about 70 or 80 fingers fully filled out. A huge nice looking bunch. I was waiting for some yellow to start showing before cutting. Someone, stole the bunch in the last week of September. I haven't even tasted one those yet. ... errr ... If I get my hands on him ...

All together, I had more than 20 bunches of bananas. .... This basically finishes the 2019 nana season. And the 2020 season has already started. I need to makes these wait another 2 months before flowering. .... My nanas have not gone dormant this winter as of last week. ... We have a few night where the temps drop to 29 -30 deg's just before day light and only one night about 1 1/2 or 2 weeks ago that actually had frost.

Last edited by edwmax : 01-17-2020 at 08:54 PM.
edwmax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edwmax
Said thanks: