View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tytaylor77
Banana Plants for Trade

Zone: 8b
Name: Ty
BananaBucks : 29,104
Said "Thanks" 4,524 Times
Was Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,155 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 420 Times
Default Re: Musa thomsonii seeds

By immature embryo that usually means not viable. And usually it’s the whole bunch. The embryo stops developing as soon as the bunch is harvested.

Scientific studies show that some Musa embryo develop in the very late stages of bunch filling. Just in the last 2 weeks (say when fingers turn yellow) some Musa embryo develop upto 80% of their growth in that short time!

So say you are a seed collector fighting birds, rats, and everything else trying to eat them. You see a “filled but not yellow” bunch. Do you harvest it or risk waiting 2 weeks and loosing it? My theory this is a major issue with Musa seed!

A lot of hybrid seed never even develop fully! On a normal Musa laterita bronze i get fingers just packed with seed! At least 30 per finger! 80%+ sprout! When I crossed laterita bronze and Thai gold I had 2-3 good hard seeds per finger!! 99% are white, soft and not developed.

That is why most all Musa breeders have to use a method called “embryo rescue” it gives that underdeveloped seed a chance to grow in-vitro in sterile/perfect conditions.

Just keep trying! Musa seeds can be very difficult! Especially if underdeveloped or not very fresh!