View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wertoiuy

BananaBucks : 1,586
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default What is going wrong with my banana this winter?

http://imgur.com/gallery/MSl11fU

I got this last year for christmas. It is a dwarf, but I don't know the exact species. It has purple on the young leaves, which I remember was a good identifier. I brought it in at the beginning of October with my other nonhardy plants. It has always had browned leaf edges, presumably from wind, but recently (last 3 weeks) the older leaves have started to yellow. Before, the old leaves would simply brown and shrivel one at a time. Know a large number are yellowing.

Considering it was fine through 5 months of winter last year, I am assuming the issue is a change I made since last year. There are only a few things I can think of:

- It is no longer under the lights because it got too tall. I put it near the lights and the window, and I have a supplementary light targeting just it.

- Last winter I didn't fertilize as the natural fertilizer really smells. I did when outside for the summer though. This winter, I have recently started using a liquid chemical fertilizer I made from potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate. I dilute it according to instructions for premade liquid chemical fertilizers, so the concentration should be right. All the other plants get this too.

I would doubt the fertilizer is a problem; it would have to be way overdosed. And as shown, the other plants are loving it. Everybody gets watered the same.

I think the lighting is thr culprit, or perhaps something with the positioning. The previously super healthy philidendron up there has been suffering from a similar problem.

The banana was repotted in May when it came outside. I used 3 parts pine bark, 2 parts 1/8" gravel, 1 part diatomaceous earth, 1 part dried montmorillonite clay. I added roughly 1 part peat moss because I read they like a wetter soil, and the previous stuff alone usually dries pretty fast. I have used the base mix without peat for 2 years now on almost all my plants and bonsai and it works well.

What could be going on?
Wertoiuy is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Wertoiuy
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors