View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Katie Thompson
Space Banana

Zone: 10a
Name: Space Banana KT
BananaBucks : 3,535
Said "Thanks" 30 Times
Was Thanked 85 Times in 30 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 11 Times
Default Re: Help diagnosing my plant!

I had a plant indoors this year for almost a year. At first, I basically forgot it was inside (room wasn't 'used much, it was off to the side) and I believe I didn't water it for almost 2 months. It got indirect light from a tiny window near the 14 foot ceiling. Tree was about 3 feet tall. No fertilizer. No attention at all, the poor thing! And strangely... it grew! slowly, but new cigar leaves came out and unfolded, beautiful and green. The leaves looked great.

Finally, after about a year of this (I think I watered 5-6 times total--once I saw it was doing well, I only watered rarely, like a good dousing once a month) I decided to let it go back outside with its friends. By now it had 2 large pups, and only a little browning around the two oldest leaves.

anyhoo, I just trimmed off the 'flawed' leaves (made me crazy) and it's outside getting doused with everyone else, and growing like haywire.

If it hadn't been for me simply forgetting that plant, I would NEVER have believed I could let a banana go without water for that long.

I put another plant in its place in the side room, and I'll try the same treatment. It's 6 feet tall, and just put out a beautiful new leaf.

Moral of the story: Watering inside is over-rated. (Pretend it is nice wine, and you will be more stingy with it! )

What?? I'm bananas??
Thank you.
Katie Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Katie Thompson
Said thanks: