View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
TommyOBananas

Zone: 7a
BananaBucks : 6,208
Said "Thanks" 4 Times
Was Thanked 33 Times in 11 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Advice on Strategy Change for Winterizing Banana Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
Basjoos.....let die to the ground and mulch at 8 inches deep.

Early Spring fertilize with a regular garden fertilizer like 16-16-16 ...19-19-19
Feed your mats the same triple 15-19 through growing season and water well.

Your plant will SHINE

Some pros hit the plant with 46-0-0 in early march for Basjoos and Mekongs.

There is a lot to learn on how to get these awesome plants to their potential

https://www.flickr.com/gp/hostafarian/3Evj9C

Thank you so much...I must admit that I am a tad nervous knowing I have always wrapped them, but knowing I lost a few due to flowering and another that did not survive the winter for the stalk, this is the year to do it and that flickr link was amazing. That is the type of bunched growth I have seen with that other person and what I saw in the one in my backyard. I think I have inadvertently been limiting its more explosive growth by forcing it to grow through that one stalk. I think I am going to clear out a little more space for them to grow in (I have some cannas near them) and hope to have a big Spring.

Once they die to the ground, should I cut the dead stalk and leaves away or just mulch over it? It seems the pictures from that link show it being cut below the mulch line.

Thank you again so much. I love these plants a lot and hoping this may create the jungle and canopy look I have wanted.

Tom
TommyOBananas is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To TommyOBananas
Said thanks: