View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 05:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,401
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: What Ive learned my first year in bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana nut View Post
https://imgur.com/gallery/6sI5iC0

These two plants are the result of a year of trial and error. Ive bought about 20 or 25 plants throughout the year and these are the survivors besides one that is out in the field (zebrino thriving for some reason). Fortunately, these two tc plants have held on and are finally on the way to health. They have nearly died 3 times but every time I learn something new.

Soil

When I first started I googled everything I could think of as to what type of soil to put them in. My first mix for the TC plants was a mixture of compost, sandy cactus soil and fertilizer. They thrived for about a week or two then started to develop grown spots. As per the instructions, after three weeks start to move them outside gradually. The brown spots got worse. Some of them started having their leaves turn a white tint. Later I discovered (from this forum), compost should not be used in the soil as it will heat up and retain water. The result was over watered plants (root rot) and too much sun exposure too fast. Lost 3 mahoi plants and one blue java.

Now I have seemed to of found a good mix. 1/3 perlite, 1/3 cactus soil, and 1/3 peat moss. It works for me.

Watering

I wasn't a big planting guy when I first started and didn't know much. I watered once the top soil seemed dry. I had read a ton and everyone said these plants are prone to root rot. What I didn't understand is that the soil you use can retain moisture well below the surface and still affect the root system. What seemed to me was that the plant was wilting and needed more water to help was actually making it worse. Now I use a moisture meter and wait until the soil is dry towards the bottom of the pot.

Bugs

This is always an ongoing battle through the seasons. Sometimes I would have beetles burrowing under the soil which was very frusterating. Many times I was having a grasshopers eat entire leaves. Now I use neem oil to help prevent that and spray thoroughly once a week. Seven dust helped during the summer on the leaves to prevent the grasshoppers.

This forum has helped a ton and I just wanted to share what I have learned my first year. I will be overwintering about 8 pups and 3 TC plants that will hopefully go in the ground as soon as our storm season is over next spring.

Thanks for reporting your results; success & falures. This helps to verify advice given on the forum and growing methods.