View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
beam2050
banana cereal killer

Zone: 9b-8a
Name: walkinbeam
BananaBucks : 576
Said "Thanks" 10,695 Times
Was Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,543 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 816 Times
Default Re: Tall orinoco cold hardiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose263 View Post
Now you've got me interested.
You might want to consider burying some type of heating element or other heat pipes.
Around here,(deep south) people often use pipe heating cables to keep exposed plumbing from freezing.
I'm guessing that areas like yours with frozen sidewalks have invented heating element products that will warm the sidewalks and eliminate the ice?
Seems like all you really need is a heating element that will maintain soil temps at 30F or above.
My thoughts - maybe warm water circulation? or heat cable?
built a 32 x 28 ft. garage once up in north Dakota. did floor heat with copper pipes and used a hot water heater. had green grass around the garage all year long.

depending on area a small hot water heater and pipes with anti freeze buried 1 1/2 ft. deep would work well. problem is a thermostat, would have to have the sending unit buried in the ground.

set the thermostat 50 to 55 degrees. 1/8 or 1/2 hp pump. you would have to reverse your flow into and out of the hot water heater and t in at the top most part of your discharge line and run an open line into a 5 gallon bucket to stop hydro lock.

npk of wood ash 0/1/3 to 0/3/7

npk of banana leaf ash 1.75/0.75/0.5
beam2050 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To beam2050
Said thanks: