Thread: Twin Flowers
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2019, 10:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tytaylor77
Banana Plants for Trade

Zone: 8b
Name: Ty
BananaBucks : 47,609
Said "Thanks" 4,612 Times
Was Thanked 3,726 Times in 1,185 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 424 Times
Default Re: Twin Flowers

Congrats! Nice bunches for potted plants! The Musa double Mahoi is sadly extinct! The correct name is Musa Double Cavendish. They are a mutation of normal dwarf cavendish and are the same except they can make multiple bunches! Next year you could get 4-5 separate buds and peduncles as my bro Hector said! Very cool Musa to have and watch!

On the pups! I have never observed any negative effects when cutting pups off a fruiting mother plant! Now that being said, be careful. Don’t butcher the plant! And I have a rule I use! I only separate pups in a 1/4th area at a time.

So look at the plant and picture the the soil around the pstem as 4 equal (1/4th) size zones! If there is 1 or even 3 pups all in a single zone I will take them all! But I will wait about 2 weeks before I separate more from a different zone.

This allows the mom to grow some replacement roots in the area you cut! It also doesn’t shock the plant, which is very important while fruiting. In 10-14 days I move to the next zone and remove more.

One thing I try to do also that helps! I always “try” to leave my last or replacement pup in the opposite direction of where the bunch is hanging. This pup behind the mom is major support to the bunch! It will keep the plant from leaning, falling, or similar problems.

I have great success with this “rule” maybe it will help you also. Because if you have over 2 pups or so on that mom, it is gonna take FOREVER for the bunch to fill! Especially in fall. So cut off those energy suckers! Haha.

Good luck and congrats on the bunches! Double cavendish is such a fun plant. I just wish it wasn’t a cavendish Hahhaa.