View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
cincinnana
container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
BananaBucks : 771
Said "Thanks" 3,865 Times
Was Thanked 11,706 Times in 4,870 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,943 Times
Smile Re: Ensete Maurelli Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyance View Post
Hey banana buddies, I’ve had my ensete since the beginning of summer and it was doing quite well! Lately, however, it seems to be stuggling.

I noticed a couple weeks ago what looked like mealy bugs on my plant (had an infestation on another plant, but I quarantined it, so I thought). I treated the ensete with my organic insecticidal soap a few times and I haven’t seen any bugs since, I’ve looked pretty intently. On the underside of the leaves along the stem, there looks to webbing... not sure if it’s remnant residue from mealys or evidence of spider mites (which I don’t see).

Curious if this could be due to the treatments? Perhaps a relatively sudden drop in temperature, as I’ve experienced in the past couple weeks.

As you will see in the attached photos, the new leaf if sprouting damaged, as did the leaf before it. Older leaves are beginning to yellow and there appears to be black spots near the base of the stems... I’ve uploaded my photos to the gallery on this site (I think), but if you can’t find them, please take a look at my imgur album and let me know your thoughts: https://imgur.com/a/pBqzlS1
Indiana.

Looks like the remnant of your infestation on the leaves....which looks normal.

Now with the shorter days expect to loose some of your older leaves in the fashion you describe. Mine do it also in our zone.
Do a youtube search on how to keep the plant alive over the winter.....do it now and prepare.