View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
PR-Giants
Commercial Grower

BananaBucks : 2,767
Said "Thanks" 2,724 Times
Was Thanked 10,969 Times in 3,122 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,851 Times
Default Re: New growth bursting out the side of p stem

I had to check the shipping records and it was shipped Saturday Aug 3 and was delivered on Monday Aug 5.
Actively growing plants should not be left lying horizontally for two weeks because they can sense gravity and will do what whatever they need to in order to grow in a vertical direction. It's not a problem and you didn't really harm the plant, Pisang Awak are very tough and it's a young plant.

Best thing to do now is to repot and orientate the new growth in a vertical or near vertical position as best you can and the plant will take care of the rest. The old pseudo stem is going rot and die so you can cut it off now or cut if off later. Don't be overly concerned with the orientation of the rhizome, the only thing that is important is the orientation of the growing point.

I added two photos at the bottom. One shows where the growing point is located and the other shows that a rhizome can make a bunch of crazy looking turns in order to get the growing point in a vertical position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Giants View Post

It was shipped Saturday Aug 3 and it should be delivered on Monday Aug 5.

I should be able to ship you a variegated Manini this week.

This is a beautiful plant and it would be great to see some photos after it grows a few leaves back.

Happy Growing & Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj3d View Post
Hello there!

I just got a new banana plant in the mail! Unfortunately, due to some shipping complications on my end it took about two weeks to get to me. Thankfully, the plant seems to be healthy, and there isn't any sign of root rot. However, the stem was cut before shipping, and the new growth seems to have burst out of the side of the stem instead of coming out of the top. What should I do? Should I let it grow as is and see what happens? Or should I cut the stem again and try to straighten things out?

Images below. Thanks in advance for the advice! This forum is a wonderful place.