View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
cincinnana
container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
BananaBucks : 533
Said "Thanks" 3,865 Times
Was Thanked 11,705 Times in 4,870 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,943 Times
Default Re: size of pot I should use

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulorph View Post
Thanks for response Cincinnana. Right now they are in 15 gallon pots and I think it is tight. They have been there over 2 months. Plants are 4 feet tall with some really nice size pups off. Took off one of cali gold for my mom. 15 gallon is crowded out already. I was think about cutting in 1/2 a 55 gallon plastic foodsafe drum. I guess you may be from Cincinnati. Looked at Photo gallery, pretty nice. Will have to look into your soiless mix and try it on one of the pups. I used a mix of composted manure, soil, and pearlite. How do you overwinter your bananas, do you have a greenhouse? Thanks for the info.
Yep ...Southwest Ohio along the Ohio river.
If you overwinter your plants with a reliable soilless mix ...do not change a thing........ you might mess with your luck.
Holding plants season to season is sometimes a challenge....for me at least.

For me, a tight pot is a happy pot to overwinter.
I have a few in half barrels and they did fine.
Many of my plants will go into winter with packed roots in a container.
I do try not to transplant or disturb a plant late in the season.
Last fall I had received 4 bare root plants late in the season and they were a challenge.

Most plants will go dormant and the plant will decline in health....only to revive in March.
I have no greenhouse but many banana plants are forgiving of less than ideal conditions for 5-7 months.
I have a few tree ferns and bananas that need more TLC (heat and light) and they are in a grow room .

Our zone requires all our gardening skills over the winter months.... sometimes I lose a plant or two.