View Single Post
Old 03-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
JoeReal

BananaBucks : 407,057
Said "Thanks" 108 Times
Was Thanked 474 Times in 228 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: What did you graft today ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Great! The oroblanco should push the Dancy scions into quite a bit of production.
Richard, I'm surprised that the OB will do this in your area. Is the OB down there have good vigor as the other pummelo or grapefruit types? OB could be vigorous on Volkameriana rootstocks, but who would want a bland tasting OB?

Over here, the Oro Blanco is relatively a slow grower on citrange or Carrizo rootstock compared to other grapefruits in the same rootstocks, especially if kept in production. Mato Buntan, Chandler, Rio Star, and most other grapefruits have several times more vigor than OB's. That's how they performed in my yard, as well as EZ's yard.

Benny, how is the vigor of your OB compared to others? In my multi-graft, I'm sure glad I grafted the OB in the South Facing direction where it will never get shaded out. It is also a slow but productive grower.

I will be topworking a university professor's Ray Ruby grapefruit with Calamondins on the coming two weekends. Calamondins do well over grapefruits.
JoeReal is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To JoeReal
Sponsors