View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 11:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
nealnick5
Nick

Zone: 7b
Name: Nick
BananaBucks : 57,157
Said "Thanks" 336 Times
Was Thanked 372 Times in 107 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Nana super slow after roots dried out over winter

The pups/corms/corm callous are all in WET (from rain) potting soil, and the mother (5ft pseudo) is in dry potting soil in the garage. Are you saying I should plant them all in sand? I checked the Miracle Grow potting mix today after much rain, and it seemed very dry inside (AKA well-draining). I usually plant with potting mix/sand/pearlite/native dirt but got lazy. Should I do this for them, even if the potting mix seemed fairly dry in full rain? I really don't want to lose them as i paid a lot for the mother corm. The mother corm currently has no callous or dead roots.. no rot anymore... only the exposed fresh corm after cutting/soaking. I soaked it in low quantity bleach in water for 30 mins and not the mama plant is in dry potting mix in the garage. The children are in wet potting mix. I soaked them in the same mixture. Usually with nanas they heal (in my experience), but i paid $150 for the mother corm last year and can't afford to lose it. The babies are backups but are you saying I still need to redo the soil? The potting mix seemed fairly dry after major rain, but I can't take chances. I seemed to drain better than the potting mix from Brian's botanicals and from Ken's nursery. My kudzu is doing fine after all the rain in those same mixtures, consisting mostly of bark chips ("tree/shrub mixture") as Brian's and Ken's. I just don't want to lose anything and now I'm utterly paranoid haha just want the plants to survive. And about the kudzu... I know... but it's only going to be a bonsai so no worries lol I won't plant it anywhere except your backyard! All jokes aside, I just want what's best for my plants. Thank you for any help!
Growing: Ensete ventricosum 'maurelli', Musa balbisiana 'Thai Black', bordelon, basjoo, Dwarf Cavendish, Dwarf Orinoco, itinerans var. itinerans, lasiocarpa, orinoco (tall), saba, sikkimensis 'Red Tiger', TaNee, zebrina, VDN (green), 1000 fingers, praying hands, ornata purple, veluntina, french red, super dwarf cavendish, dwarf iholena, red iholena, balbisiana (yellow), kru, mananzo, zebrina var. gran nain.

Last edited by nealnick5 : 06-08-2019 at 12:30 AM.
nealnick5 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nealnick5
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors