View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 03:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,716
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: Cutting back question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicwyn View Post
Hello all I am from Ohio zone 6a. I am looking to grow a ice cream banana plant and I am getting a lot of conflicting info online. Some sites say it is hardy in my zone with good Insulation. Others say that I would need to pot or dig up and cut to the ground for over wintering inside. I am completely ok with that if that is the route I will have to go. My question is though if I cut it to the ground every year will it ever actually produce fruit since it will be Essentially starting over again every year in the spring. Any info would be greatly appreciated appreciated thank you

You do not have the number of warm growing days required to fruit a banana plant or the 3 to 6 months needed to grow an bunch if the plant did flower ... unless you do it in a heated greenhouse.

So cutting the stalk or storing the corn potted or dry root in a garage are different methods of protecting the corm from freezing. The only chance of seeing a flower is to store the plant with most of the stalk intact and replant after your last frost in the spring. ... Depending on the banana variety 280 to 400 plus growing days are required to fruit; then 3 to 6 months to grow the bunch. Dwarf Namwah needs about 14- 16 months and 4 months for the bunch.