View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
phmaddnes

Zone: 10a - Cfa - Humid Subtropical Climate
Name: PH
BananaBucks : 5,487
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Blue Java seeds from China

Like most of you I like to grow things and wanted to grow blue Java’s after reading all the hype. But I’m also “frugal”, ok I’m downright cheap so couldn’t justify spending $35-165 for a plant so I did the next best thing, I went on eBay.

I found a seed distributor in China with very good feedback so ordered 200 Blue Java Icecream banana seeds for next to nothing.(my favorite price). It took a few weeks to arrive but they did and looked like the tiny seeds you would see inside of a banana. Not knowing much about growing bananas from seed I started researching and saw that most purchased seeds looked to be much larger so I became skeptical. I decided to see if they would even germinate so put about 20 on a wet paper towel in a Tupperware container, closed it as set it on a very sunny warm shelf. I checked on them about two weeks later and low and behold some had not only popped but had sunk a root deep into the paper.

Next I decide to put about 100? Into good potting soil, moisten it well and sealed the top with Saran Wrap. Sure enough 1-2 weeks later a bunch are sprouting.

So here are my questions, hat are the chances they will be fruit bearing plants and if so what are the chances they are the same strain as the parent plant, assuming it is blue Java?

Thanks in advance.
~PH

We are the people, our parents warned us about.
phmaddnes is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To phmaddnes
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors