View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
SoFloBanana

Zone: 10a
Name: Aaron
BananaBucks : 16,579
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 56 Times in 22 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: HELP SAVE MY BANANA PLANT! (Pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentcooper View Post

I bought a large banana plant early this year. The previous owner recommended that we wait till the outdoor temperature at a minimum 5°C / 41°F to transfer to plant in order to minimize the shock to its root and repotting, so we waited till early March.

The owner sawed the root out from the previous planter and we moved it back to mine, and I got a 25" wide 20" tall pot for the plant. Everything was peachy. A couple of weeks later, the leaves started falling. So we cut the broken leaves off.

It was downhill from there. Leaves kept on breaking/falling and a sucker keeps sprouting. I would try and dig out the soil around the sucker and cut it from as deep as I could. But it's no use; it keeps popping out every week.

Now, there are 2 leaves left and they're browning.

Is there hope left?

I read a bunch of articles and here are what I know:
1. Definitely not too much water. Top 2" soil is quite dry and going deeper it's moist.
2. It's facing the same side (south west) by the window so it should get the same sunlight as before.
3. No fertilizer yet but when I repotted it I chopped up broken leaves and mixed in with the soil, as I was told that's the best plant food for banana trees.
4. Cut off some of the thick brown layers on its trunk.

I feel pretty hopeless.
I don't think this is the source of your problem but, as a digression, I'd recommend against putting fresh organic material in your soil that isn't composted. Fresh organic material, such as banana leaves, can tie up nitrogen during the initial phases of composting so it's best to compost those materials separately and add them to your plants later as a top dressing (or mixed in if you're preparing a bed for planting a month or two later).
SoFloBanana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To SoFloBanana
Said thanks: