View Single Post
Old 04-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
bananimal

Zone: 10a
Name: Dan
BananaBucks : 559,845
Said "Thanks" 4,688 Times
Was Thanked 4,978 Times in 1,509 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 191 Times
Default Re: Care tips for new plant from in mail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumptoast View Post
Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum and new to growing bananas, so please excuse any misunderstandings I may have. I am very open to advice in all forms, and just really want to expand my knowledge. Just today I have received a my first banana plant in the mail. It is a Gros Michel (I hope) and it stands at less than a foot tall. I have found plenty of tips as to how to care for a banana plant in general, but not many resources on care during the plants infancy. I am located in Santa Cruz, California - Zone 9b. My plan as of now is to keep the plant in lower light / non direct sun exposure for a few days until it gets acclimated. I am keeping the soil moist and allowing it to drain through, but am remaining careful not to overwater, as the plant is still very small. I will slowly allow the plant a few hours outside in the sunlight each day, until I feel it is ready to spend the whole day outside in direct light. Before this point, I expect the roots to grow through the small pot it came in, and will transfer it to a much larger pot that it will grow in until it is large enough to plant in the ground. For re-potting I am planning on using a cactus/palm soil because it will allow for high drainage. I am trying to keep the pH somewhat acidic and have a tester for that. I plan on fertilizing once a month with a high nitrogen, medium phosphorous, high potassium fertilizer. One the plant is large enough, I will plant it in my backyard where it will receive full sunlight almost all day, but will have a few other fruit trees near it providing some shade. I will apply a layer of mulch around the area to prevent weed and grass growth. From there I will water around 1.5 gallons to the plant every day.

I really would like to hear if anyone thinks my plan is decent, or if there is anything i should change or do that I am not planning on. All thoughts welcome and appreciated. Thanks!!!
I'm in 9b in south Florida. What are your daily hi/lo temps?

Like you I'm in the middle of acclimatizing --- my new AeAe. Check my AeAe post for more details.
bananimal is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bananimal