View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 09:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
nealnick5
Nick

Zone: 7b
Name: Nick
BananaBucks : 57,177
Said "Thanks" 336 Times
Was Thanked 372 Times in 107 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: My Musa itinerans var. xishuanbannaensis planted in VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonicdrone View Post
i gave away many basjoo a couple seasons ago
i instructed people to plant them in the ground and each tried a slightly different way of protecting them
some with a mesh cylinder full of leaves and capped with plastic
some with no protection at all
the only ones that survived were the 2 that one person brought inside in the fall
all the others died completely.. no pups came up

most were on flat ground... could be problem #1
too wet likely and definitely did not get planted as deep as youres

none were huge.. maybe not enough stored energy in the corm

i may try to mound up some sand.. plant deep... lots of wood chips..
possibly a little low tunnel over top so when the moisture condenses to the plastic it runs to the sides
it will be a balance to get some heat from the composting chips but not so much that they wake up too early or get cooked
just trying to get pups to sprout not keep a pstem alive...

this is in toronto,canada
I have noticed out of all of mine, 3 patches actually have not returned so far. They had no protection but still were on a hill and had fairly dry soil. They were planted last fall in the woods last year for fun. Of the 5 total, 3 died. The 2 survivors were about twice the size (2-3 feet). So size definitely makes a large difference. I think the main difference is also climate.

And I wouldn't worry about "cooking them" because that's BS lol mine did not burn or suffer under the plastic. They actually liked it so much they started growing early lol! But seriously I wouldn't worry about them waking up early. It clearly does not hurt them. Mine have close to 4 foot pseudos already.

Found the link to the plastic https://www.lowes.com/pd/BARRICADE-1...ing/1000158151 only mine was the black one (traps more heat).

But definitely give this winterization method a try.. maybe you can experiment on different nanas this winter and see with winterization method worked the best. I still think keeping them dry is the most important thing (both roots and pseudos).
Growing: Ensete ventricosum 'maurelli', Musa balbisiana 'Thai Black', bordelon, basjoo, Dwarf Cavendish, Dwarf Orinoco, itinerans var. itinerans, lasiocarpa, orinoco (tall), saba, sikkimensis 'Red Tiger', TaNee, zebrina, VDN (green), 1000 fingers, praying hands, ornata purple, veluntina, french red, super dwarf cavendish, dwarf iholena, red iholena, balbisiana (yellow), kru, mananzo, zebrina var. gran nain.
nealnick5 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nealnick5