View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
nealnick5
Nick

Zone: 7b
Name: Nick
BananaBucks : 56,882
Said "Thanks" 336 Times
Was Thanked 372 Times in 107 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: My Musa itinerans var. xishuanbannaensis planted in VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonicdrone View Post
from the start of the pstem to the surface of the soil
what is the deepest you have planted with success in dry sandy soil

i have yet to successfully overwinter a basjoo but i have one which is on a roll indoors
so hopefully might get big enough to attempt to leave it in the ground

looking forward to seeing you're new banana progress!
Thank you subsonicdrone, me too! Even though it's not the banana plant I wanted, it's still cool to have another (alleged) cold hardy variety.

The deepest I have ever planted a basjoo is with the pseudo 1.5 feet deep, and including the corm it was close to 2 feet deep total. And with my so-so winterization in 2018 (banana pseudos and leaves, straw, and mulch) the pseudo planted that deeply survived. Most of them did, but they lost a ton of pseudo due to getting wet. I feel that planting them deeply allows them to grow much larger underground, so even the pups will be huge when they finally emerge. Just my opinion from observations, though.

I feel the most important thing with pseudo preservation is keeping the cut sections dry (and roots). If they get wet, they rot faster. Plus, the black plastic I used trapped in heat. It's the type of plastic they put on the floors in basements that have dirt floors instead of concrete. Think it's called a moisture barrier or something. It was like $50 for 1000sqft. at Home Depot.

Do any of your pups return outdoors or does the whole mat die?
Growing: Ensete ventricosum 'maurelli', Musa balbisiana 'Thai Black', bordelon, basjoo, Dwarf Cavendish, Dwarf Orinoco, itinerans var. itinerans, lasiocarpa, orinoco (tall), saba, sikkimensis 'Red Tiger', TaNee, zebrina, VDN (green), 1000 fingers, praying hands, ornata purple, veluntina, french red, super dwarf cavendish, dwarf iholena, red iholena, balbisiana (yellow), kru, mananzo, zebrina var. gran nain.
nealnick5 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nealnick5
Said thanks: