View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 12:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
nealnick5
Nick

Zone: 7b
Name: Nick
BananaBucks : 56,883
Said "Thanks" 336 Times
Was Thanked 372 Times in 107 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Musa basjoo never makes it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaLee View Post
Thanks so much, everyone! I really do appreciate the help. It may be drainage. I'm definitely gonna check out that post, Nick! That's amazing you got it to bloom! Though my garden bed is pretty much straight up compost and everything get's really big, it isn't sloped or anything, so I'll add some more and make a little hill where the next one will be planted. It isn't in full sun though (a few hours of shade), but I don't think that's too big a deal as it got the same size as the ones in full sun.
Yes, give that a shot. And no problem! Just want to help out! So far, I have loved basjoos even though I have over 100 (small) ones from a friend! I only winterized the "showpieces" haha.. but the ones on random hills with partial sun or the ones with full shade are still returning very fast! That's how I decided drainage must be the key: No nannas here are happy on flat ground. Also, observe which areas stay wet this summer or moist. In the winter, this means they will be even wetter! Some plants are fine with this but bananas hate wet feet in the winter! So observe and avoid those places for nanas, unless you add loads of sand to fill them in.

The random ones I have that aren't showpieces are still awesome to have, but I recommend only focusing on your showpieces. That way, you always have backups incase your main ones fail.

Also, compost isn't too great for drainage. Most of mine are planted in clay soil, and I added loads of sand to fill the holes so they have adequate drainage. To compensate for the lack of nutrients, I just use $10 Walmart 10/10/10 fertilizer every month... about 1-3 cups (10oz cups) depending on the grove size monthly. Every month until temps reach 60F, then I stop. This way they still have loads of nutrients. I also water each showpiece bunch for about 5 minutes during summers with little rain every 3 or 4 days. But here in VA last year it was extra rainy so I didn't have to.

Hope this helps

People will say this fertilizer isn't the best, but hey we aren't trying to have the perfect plants. Just ones that work every year with little to no maintenance (and cheaper prices)

*edit* To clarify the 60F thing I said... I fertilize them throughout the summer until fall temps reach 60F, then I stop
Growing: Ensete ventricosum 'maurelli', Musa balbisiana 'Thai Black', bordelon, basjoo, Dwarf Cavendish, Dwarf Orinoco, itinerans var. itinerans, lasiocarpa, orinoco (tall), saba, sikkimensis 'Red Tiger', TaNee, zebrina, VDN (green), 1000 fingers, praying hands, ornata purple, veluntina, french red, super dwarf cavendish, dwarf iholena, red iholena, balbisiana (yellow), kru, mananzo, zebrina var. gran nain.

Last edited by nealnick5 : 04-21-2019 at 10:30 AM.
nealnick5 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nealnick5
Said thanks: