View Single Post
Old 04-21-2019, 12:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
BananaLee

Zone: 6
Name: Call me Lee
BananaBucks : 142,490
Said "Thanks" 439 Times
Was Thanked 229 Times in 104 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 22 Times
Default Re: Musa basjoo never makes it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkfarm View Post
DRAINAGE, drainage, drainage and a few more drainages :-). We have killed innumerable basjoos in every possible location on over 100 acres - BUT finally found the perfect, and MOST unlikely places - on top of a root cellar, on top of perfectly drained soil piles. We always thought that as they grew so fast and needed so much water that they were happy with normal locations. No way. DRY,DRY,DRY and now we can grow it anywhere - just treat it like a xeric plant :-) (and we have a very large xeric garden - largest on east coast).
We never water in summer (though plants are limited to 10-12 feet). We are considering trying water during droughts as we should be able to get much better height as we have seen at various other gardens. We also do not mulch in winter (have tried it - made no difference)
Wow, I never thought of not watering it...that's super interesting. I wonder how my results would be as Michigan is a lot dryer than the rest of the eastern states...some areas get the same amount of rain as central Texas. But I might just try that and see how it goes 👍
BananaLee is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To BananaLee
Said thanks: