View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
nealnick5
Nick

Zone: 7b
Name: Nick
BananaBucks : 57,192
Said "Thanks" 336 Times
Was Thanked 372 Times in 107 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Basjoo's fruiting before frost in 20-30 days

Unfortunately I decided to chop them and cover them up since it was easier to cover the entire bunches. I used the leaves and pseudos inside the mulching to provide heat via decomposition (exothermal reaction), straw, then I covered them with black plastic wrap with large staples and bricks to keep the plastic from coming off. So far, I tested the regular mulching methods with this and the ones in the plastic wrap have hardly lost any pseudo while the conventional mulching bananas have lost almost the entire pseudo. It was an experiment on my behalf, but it seems the more work involved means the better-preservation of pseudos. Also, the plastic wrap keeps the roots very dry during the winter months thus far. Here are the pics of what I did

IMG_20181117_163555
IMG_20190109_102806
IMG_20190109_102834
Growing: Ensete ventricosum 'maurelli', Musa balbisiana 'Thai Black', bordelon, basjoo, Dwarf Cavendish, Dwarf Orinoco, itinerans var. itinerans, lasiocarpa, orinoco (tall), saba, sikkimensis 'Red Tiger', TaNee, zebrina, VDN (green), 1000 fingers, praying hands, ornata purple, veluntina, french red, super dwarf cavendish, dwarf iholena, red iholena, balbisiana (yellow), kru, mananzo, zebrina var. gran nain.
nealnick5 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nealnick5
Said thanks: