View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 12:23 AM   #36 (permalink)
sputinc7

Zone: 9b
Name: Steve
BananaBucks : 101,737
Said "Thanks" 352 Times
Was Thanked 2,430 Times in 971 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 295 Times
Default Re: Wind Chill is Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruzinsky View Post
A second layer of socks won't cut off circulation, if your shoes are too big for one layer of socks. Did you ever wear five layers of socks in the summer just to make oversized shoes fit?

Anyway, I wear one layer of socks and the only time my feet are cold is when they are wet. I just finished walking 5 miles. It was 0 when I started and it is 10 now. I was absolutely comfortable. After stopping at home to take a pee and write this, I will walk another 5.

Tomorrow the daytime high is supposed to be -15, which, I think would be a record, but, Wednesdays are not exercise days for me.

At those temperatures, greenhouse heating gets strange because frost clogs air leaks in the structure. It reduces heating requirements but it increases the probability that the oxygen deprivation sensors in my open flame heaters will turn the heaters off. Good to be home, if that happens.
I tried 2 pairs and they were tight and my feet were much colder than wearing one pair. Loose fitting shoes would work better to keep your feet warm. Keeps a nice pillow of warm air in there. Same as how loose fitting clothes work better than tight ones. My feet rarely got cold as long as I was moving around and working or something. Standing still, nothing but a heat source would keep them warm.

https://sputinc7.wixsite.com/covwc

Varieties I supposedly bought: Manzano, Cavendish, Blue Java, Sweetheart, and Gros Michel.
What it seems I actually have: Brazilian, Cavendish, Namwah, Dwarf Red, Gros Michel, Pisang Ceylon, Veinte Cohol and SH 3640, and American Goldfinger. FHIA 1, Paggi and FHIA 17... Always room for one more.
sputinc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sputinc7
Said thanks: