View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
aruzinsky

Zone: 6a (10 miles east of 5b)
Name: Steve
BananaBucks : 160,463
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 784 Times in 316 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: Wind Chill is Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputinc7 View Post
The amount and type of clothing differs for each person as well as each activity. If you are running, it is no surprise your feet stay warm. If someone was wearing that getup holding a sign for road construction, their feet would be cold. BTW, a second set of socks cuts off circulation and makes feet colder. LOOSE fitting clothes are best and in layers like you said. I used to work outside near Peoria, Il. I found hoodies and a stocking hat to be great in even the coldest weather. T shirt, Flannel shirt an a hoodie worked for me in even the coldest weather, but I am a cold hearty one. My wife would freeze in that in the same weather. As for gloves, get yourself to dollar tree and get the brown cotton jersey gloves.. thank me later.
A second layer of socks won't cut off circulation, if your shoes are too big for one layer of socks. Did you ever wear five layers of socks in the summer just to make oversized shoes fit?

Anyway, I wear one layer of socks and the only time my feet are cold is when they are wet. I just finished walking 5 miles. It was 0 when I started and it is 10 now. I was absolutely comfortable. After stopping at home to take a pee and write this, I will walk another 5.

Tomorrow the daytime high is supposed to be -15, which, I think would be a record, but, Wednesdays are not exercise days for me.

At those temperatures, greenhouse heating gets strange because frost clogs air leaks in the structure. It reduces heating requirements but it increases the probability that the oxygen deprivation sensors in my open flame heaters will turn the heaters off. Good to be home, if that happens.
aruzinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To aruzinsky
Said thanks: