View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #97 (permalink)
Eric1221

Zone: 7
BananaBucks : 35,569
Said "Thanks" 158 Times
Was Thanked 112 Times in 65 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Asimina Triloba (Paw Paw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisport View Post
I think they are spaced 2 meters more or less...
Oh okay so it's around the same as my trees. Once I looked into it more I saw that Kentucky State University & Neal Peterson recommends 8 feet between trees. I think Michael Judd said that ideally 10 ft is even better. They can become a decent sized tree if you just let them grow without pruning and stuff. Oh well - I figured 6-7 feet for pollination and to make a privacy wall someday. I think I would try to prune them so they don't get too high in the sky. Harvesting fruit would be difficult if they get like 20+ ft tall. They say pawpaws like to be planted together anyway since they make a patch anyways but then I read that people said they shade themselves out and then won't make as much fruit or the shaded branches will eventually die back. Who knows lol. Your trees look great though! Definitely a medium-larger tree now.
I am very fascinated and excited about growing Pawpaws (Asimina triloba). I also am equally fascinated and excited to be growing: Pawpaw cultivars, Echinacea purpurea 'magnus', Asclepias tuberosa Butterfly Weed, Musa basjoo Cold Hardy Banana, Lycium barbarum 'Sweet Lifeberry', Passiflora incarnata 'hardy native maypop'.

Future projects: Indigenous/native host plants for butterflies such as: Zizia aurea Golden Alexanders, Eutrochium maculatum Joe Pye Weed, Asclepias incarnata Rose Milkweed.
Eric1221 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Eric1221
Said thanks: