View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #53 (permalink)
Akula

Zone: Zone 9a
BananaBucks : 10,352
Said "Thanks" 1,190 Times
Was Thanked 1,116 Times in 355 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 92 Times
Default Re: 2018 Banana Patch: Pensacola, Florida

Update!

Banana patch is in winter decline which is always sad! Temps have dropped with daytime highs in low 60's and overnight lows in the high 40's with some +/- 10F outliers. So far four overnight lows low 30's.

Development of the bunches has slowed dramatically since my last pics on November 4. The quality of the leaves specifically and the plants in general has declined so even when we get some warm sunny days the plants' ability to capture the benefit is reduced signficiantly vs. earlier months. I did have a an Unknown banana plant push a flower out over the last few days warm weather after being in suspended animation for a couple weeks so there is activity in the patch.

The finger sizes in the bunches ranges from about 1" to an 1.5" wide which is close to
the size of 1 and 3/8" that N. Narange's harvests his in S. Florida. I harvested three fingers off of "Rabbit Ears" namwa today to see if they will turn yellow and if so how long the ripening process takes at this stage. This plant has the smallest fingers. I'm excited to see what happens and hopefully to eat my first banana from my patch! If all goes well I plan to put a bow on a few hands and give them out as Christmas presents to friends and family.

I would like to get the bananas as mature and fat as possible under the conditions but I'm not sure that anything much is happening at these low temperatures and at some point we will have a hard freeze. I think cutting them down and giving some away at Christmas would be memorable.

The condition of the patch:

Monster namwa after pruning:

Mediume namwa after pruning:

Small nawma "rabbit ears" after pruning:

Unknown banana plant showing some spotting (maybe mildew). This one isn't gonna make it:

Test harvest from Rabbit Ears with comparison to store bought. My bananas on my other two namwas are bit larger:

Last edited by Akula : 12-04-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Akula is online now   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Akula
Said thanks: