View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 508,562
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: propagated by tissue culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsk9 View Post
Going Bananas is mailing cultivars which are propagated by tissue culture.
They purchase TC's from Agristarts -- who is known to sell medium height Namwa as Ice Cream and Tall Namwa as Misi Luki. Otherwise, in my experience Agristarts is reliable with cultivars -- and I used to buy 4 flats of 72 each per order.

As a retailer I learned the hard way about ordering "mixed flats" of TC's. These contain 2, 3, or 4 different cultivars. In such an order, the TC's are only labeled by row -- not individually. This is problematic because the TC's can and often do jump around in individual flats. So I would open my box shipment and find 6-12 loose TC's laying at one end of the flat and empty holes among various rows. Having no idea what the loose plants were I discarded them. But I also worried that some might have jumped and filled a vacant hole. As I grew them in 1 gallon pots that was born out by 2 sporting wine stains who should not. After a few rounds of this I retreated to ordering whole flats only.

I'm not accusing Growing Bananas of any "malpractice" -- in fact all I've heard are good things about this supplier. Rather, I wanted to point out why TC's from retailers have a poor reputation.