View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
nph

Zone: 8
BananaBucks : 145,243
Said "Thanks" 22 Times
Was Thanked 353 Times in 170 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Re: how many hours can banana take of 32 degree?

Well, now they updated to 26 one night and 28 the next so I need to dig up and put some in for storage and put up my Christmas lights with the remaining I plan to try and survive outside for the winter. Thanks for the advice, I am using underground and have my own weather station in the back.

It is getting tough to grow bananas and expect fruit in Dallas, Almost 4 months of storage and 8 months of summer so barely time for fruit to ripe. Sigh...
Maybe i should get back to palm trees. I had 4 Phoenix palms growing nicely for 3 years before a hard freeze got them all.. That is when I started with bananas instead.
Currently I have a Bismarck palm I managed to keep alive for 2 winters so starting to look decent. lots of Christmas lights for that one. Also have a Pindo palm but they are hardy in Dallas.

Anyone knows how hardy Queen palms are? When I moved here I saw a huge one in a yard here but the next winter it died due to a hard freeze. However it must have grown at least 15 years before that so it seems possible to keep it alive or...?

Last edited by nph : 11-10-2018 at 11:49 PM.
nph is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To nph