View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 12:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Natureboy

Zone: 9B
Name: Nate
BananaBucks : 45,891
Said "Thanks" 124 Times
Was Thanked 138 Times in 59 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 7 Times
Default Re: What is your favotrite banana?

If we are going with the title of this thread, my "favotrite" banana (one that is lacking originality or freshness) would be Dwarf Cavendish.

If we are talking about our "favorite" banana, that's a different story, but still difficult to say since we could be talking about the actual taste of the fruit or a variety of other characteristics.

For me, there are a lot of factors, taste being the most important, but not the only one (and taste is also very subjective). I like dwarf varieties generally because they are not prone to being blown over and a bit more cold-resistant since the denser collection of leaves protect the p-stems. (A concern in my zone 9b) They are also easier to harvest each hand individually vs. cutting off the entire bunch at once.

My all around favorite is Dwarf Namwah: tastes great, nice texture, attractive plant and fruit, plant is just the right size fruiting at around 6-8ft, cold tolerant, produces lots of pups, beautiful pink p-stems when small, and more. I also like Apple/Manzano but it grows very tall for me and fruits at around 16 ft. It's a strong plant, but can easily get blown over at that height. And it sucks to have a bunch of bananas on there and have them all go to waste because they never got to fill out.

I recently got a Dwarf Iholena (white I think) and a Dwarf Maoli and will soon have a Pisang Raja, so I will have to review those down the road.

Current varieties: Dwarf Namwah, FHIA-03 (Sweetheart), White Iholena, Maoli, Orinoco, Manzano (Apple), Praying Hands, Dwarf Brazilian, Pisang Raja, Rajapuri, Ice Cream (Blue Java), FHIA-01 (Goldfinger), Kandarian
Natureboy is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Natureboy
Said thanks: