View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
sandylbuck

Zone: 9b
Name: Sandy
BananaBucks : 20,479
Said "Thanks" 143 Times
Was Thanked 129 Times in 46 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 16 Times
Default Re: Bananas for sale or trade

I would be happy to help if I can. I don't know where you live and what you plan to do with the pup in the spring or how much room you have (open foyer, etc.) in your home. I can only speak from my experience (as I live in growing zone 7 and bring my plants indoors for the winter) and say that if you are looking for slow growers in pots, grand nain, truly tiny, double mahoi, viente cohol, zebrina and dwarf red might be a good option. The other varieties, Saba, dwarf Orinoco, and tall orinoco seem to grow more quickly in pots. My Saba put up a flower and produced bananas in January and I was able to 'harvest' them over the summer which was so exciting for me, BUT, it gets tall...it sat in the foyer and grew up to the ceiling of my second story (8 ft ceilings on first and second floor). The fruit was fabulous, but now it's gone and I'm back to grocery store bananas. I had a Saba do the same thing the previous year but I waited to long to bring the plant inside and the fruit never really developed.

If you have the space I would get a plant that grows faster. I think I can speak for the group when I say that it's so exciting to watch the plants grow and grow and grow! Right now my foyer (and basement) looks like a jungle. I have 10 plants taller than 8 feet!

I guess I wonder what you are looking for? Is it edible fruit, a beautiful plant? There is so much out there as far as information goes. Where are you located?

Have any more questions?

Have a great day,

Sandy
sandylbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sandylbuck
Said thanks: