View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 03:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,339,534
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Re: What is your favotrite banana?

I've had probably 250-300 different kinds of bananas, but I'm kinda awful at coming up with a favorite for eating, though I get asked all the time. I tend to appreciate all of the differences in the plants, with their various uses, and view eating the fruit as just a relatively small portion of the whole experience.

That being said, I really like cultivars in the Mchare subgroup. Particularly one I grow named 'Muraru Mshale', it's a pretty generous sized fruit, with thick creamy pulp, very aromatic, and with a subtle tartness. In opinion it combines the best attributes of Gros Michel and Pome (Brazilian) types in one (of which it is actually an ancestral parent to both).

'Pisang Jari Buaya' has a very unique flavor, somewhat similar to 'Tuu Gia'. I'd describe it as having a candy-like quality, I don't have plants anymore, but would like to get them again as I think the fruit is so unique and more people would enjoy them.

I also really love Iholenas and Maoli/Popo'ulu types when half-ripe and steamed. There are some PNG cultivars which are even better this way, but I don't get to have them very often.

I usually don't have bananas I don't like, but ripe 'Kru' was kinda off-putting to me. It has a strong sour flavor, but not one I would describe as a pleasant tartness. It was better cooked underripe.