View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 75,351
Said "Thanks" 1,743 Times
Was Thanked 4,435 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 415 Times
Default Re: Is this a disease or damage from chlorinated water?

Same here, it is that time of year for a number of problems from white flies, & thrips to fungus & bacterial problems. Many of the symptoms look the same. ... The rains may wash some of the coatings/treatments off but it go to the ground where many of the problem originate & hibernate. So on the whole that's not as big a problem as it seems other than having to re-spray the plants later. Surfactants does help to keep copper sulfate & lime stuck to the plant and reduce wash-off. I've seen it on my plants after rains.

I think the banana growers in Costa Rica might be using a commercial prepared copper sulfate mix with a pesticide added which would void any organic labeling. ... Copper sulfate is a nutritional supplement for larger animals and humans when used within USDA recommended levels. I used a pinch or 2 in the water buckets and wading pool for the chickens and ducks to control alge. Also, copper sulfate has been noted to control intestinal parasites in barn yard animals so there is no problem for the animals to drink it.