View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 75,266
Said "Thanks" 1,743 Times
Was Thanked 4,435 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 415 Times
Default Re: Is this a disease or damage from chlorinated water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis14 View Post
Those black areas on the pseudostem look like thrip marks to me. We have the same in our fields and treat it with pesticide spraying. If this was my plant, I would encourage upward growth via severe pruning of the lower leaves, then treat, then observe if the new stem is green and not covered in black scars. But then, that is me...

Thanks Louis, I have those marks on some of my plants too. But haven't identified them as being cause by thrips. I'm not sure if I know what a thrip looks like. I just see the black marks. ... Anyway I find that copper sulfate (& lime) will also work as a pesticide on these vary small insects/grubs due to copper toxicity and well used by by organic gardeners. ... And it is very economical to mix. ... So copper sulfate can be used as an algaecide, bactericide, fungicide, antimicrobial and molluscicide for host of gardening/Ag problems. ... I believe the Bordeaux mix with copper sulfate was first invented and used on Banana plantations in the early 1800s or late 1700s.

Last edited by edwmax : 10-05-2018 at 07:45 AM.
edwmax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edwmax
Said thanks: