View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Richard
un-Retired

Zone: USDA 10b
Name: Richard
BananaBucks : 507,500
Said "Thanks" 3,636 Times
Was Thanked 12,543 Times in 4,721 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,685 Times
Default Re: Pisang Ceylon (formerly Pisang Klotek) for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by meizzwang View Post
Maybe for local pick up that's ridiculous, but for those who can't get this plant anywhere else, a healthy, large sword pup of an ID verified Pisang Ceylon at $40 seems reasonable to me. This plant is rarely offered anywhere, and we all know the big box stores/many commercial nurseries are notorious for mislabeling their banana plants. A novice might not know to check under the leaves to see if there's red anthocyanins.... Up here in Northern California, Pisang Ceylon doesn't pup very well until the Matt is very well established.
My Mysore is also slow to pup.

As discussed elsewhere, "Sword pup" and "water pup" are marketing terms. Either will develop into a fine plant if properly cared for.

I recall Momoese's plant. I believe he obtained it from a local nursery. In that case it would have been distributed by La Verne's (see previous post). I also recall the discussion and the consensus was Mysore and no agreement on Improved Mysore.

If you're having a difficult time finding a banana plant I'd recommend checking with TyTaylor and HMelendez -- the banana police!