View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 06:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
cincinnana
Container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Name: Cin
BananaBucks : 5,601
Said "Thanks" 3,224 Times
Was Thanked 7,155 Times in 2,813 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,324 Times
Smile Re: Musa Basjoo slow growth in Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejrronald View Post

I planted this 3 foot or so Musa Basjoo in the ground about 2.5 weeks ago and after a week it started to throw up a new leaf. However, the leaf unfurled (as you can see from the attached photo) early and the stem still hasn't folded over much such that the leaf sides are pulled all the way back as if they would be drooping completely if the stem had folded over. It is growing at a crawl now, if at all, after shooting the leaf up at about 2-3 inches a day. I have clay soil so I dug a big hole and planted the banana in cactus/succulent soil. I water every day or every other day and when it rained I waited 2-3 days to make sure water wasn't collecting in the hole. Am I watering too little or too much? The leaf is not brown or yellow and the top of the soil did dry out a bit before I watered after the recent rain storm. The offset that came with it was planted in a pot in the same cactus soil and is growing like crazy with water every day (albeit it can drain as needed).

Thanks.

Charles
The plant is probably just sorting itself in its new location.
If the rootball was disturbed too much it will stress your plant a bit and slow or stop its growth.
Give it another few months to grow into the hole with some new roots.
First year it sleeps
Second year it creeps
Third year it leaps.
The plant 🌱 will be fine once it gets settled.

cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Said thanks: