View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
davejrronald

BananaBucks : 1,135
Said "Thanks" 6 Times
Was Thanked 28 Times in 7 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Musa Basjoo slow growth in Missouri

I planted this 3 foot or so Musa Basjoo in the ground about 2.5 weeks ago and after a week it started to throw up a new leaf. However, the leaf unfurled (as you can see from the attached photo) early and the stem still hasn't folded over much such that the leaf sides are pulled all the way back as if they would be drooping completely if the stem had folded over. It is growing at a crawl now, if at all, after shooting the leaf up at about 2-3 inches a day. I have clay soil so I dug a big hole and planted the banana in cactus/succulent soil. I water every day or every other day and when it rained I waited 2-3 days to make sure water wasn't collecting in the hole. Am I watering too little or too much? The leaf is not brown or yellow and the top of the soil did dry out a bit before I watered after the recent rain storm. The offset that came with it was planted in a pot in the same cactus soil and is growing like crazy with water every day (albeit it can drain as needed).

Thanks.

Charles

Last edited by davejrronald : 07-18-2018 at 02:09 PM.
davejrronald is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To davejrronald
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors