Thread: Sunburn?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 03:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
cincinnana
container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
BananaBucks : 1,028
Said "Thanks" 3,860 Times
Was Thanked 11,691 Times in 4,865 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,943 Times
Default Re: Sunburn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioutic View Post
Hello all! I joined a couple of weeks ago and have been reading a few posts here trying to learn from everyone's experience. I want to start off by saying I'm new to gardening in general, and bought this plant since it was discounted. Please be patient with me as I'm still learning, haha.

This plant was labeled as a "Cavendish banana." The main plant had fully dried out yet had a pup growing so I decided to buy it and give it a try. The main plant was so dry/brown it (being the pseudostem?) detached itself from what I believe is called the rhizome. I left the rhizome in case it could regrow and haven't messed with the pup, especially since it was growing so quickly. I was getting a new leaf about every week. I left this banana plant outside mostly under and between a bougainvillea and a peace lily. For the past couple weeks we've had plenty of rain and it seemed to do very well with all the water. I noticed it had some fungi growth and read that fungi was good for plants, but decided to move it into a sunnier spot to give the soil a chance to dry out since I was worried about root rot. It was moved yesterday early morning.

However, I noticed that the leaf that unfurled had some brown streaks in the center and the same leaf was also yellowed instead of that deep green the other leaves had. Could it be the change from light was too drastic and these are sunburn spots? I noticed the bottom leaves weren't as perky and they were sort of slouched, as if it needed water. I moved it back to its old spot hoping to prevent more damage to it.

I have a picture a few days before the leaf unfurled and the picture I took today at 11:45 AM when I went to check up on it. I also included a picture of its old spot in the yard.

I live in south Florida, zone 10b.
Pioutic

Similar to what has been said by Akula when plants are small they will give different looks as they mature.
Some leaves loose all wine spots as they mature and remain green as they grow
Some leaves are purple on the underside.
This plant has deep rich wine spots and dark green leaves
Leaf coloration
by
Hostafarian
on Flickr