View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,701
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Party WooHoo - Update 2018

.... ....

Some of you know that I've been sweating blood over the possibility that I lost my 'real deal' Blue Java, FHIA 18, and fla Williams due to the 3 hard 12 hour + freezes we had this past winter. I got pups from the Blue Java and one pup from the Fla Williams this past week. So I'm down to the FHIA 18 (????). ... This morning I intended to dig up one of the FHIA 18 corms to inspect for any possible points for pups or if the corm is rotten.

When I got to the large Banana patch with a shovel & hoe in hand and ... ... this little girl was there. The pup came up in the past 24 hrs and is 3" at the pstem, about 6" overall.

So I have at least ONE FHIA18. ... I transplanted 3 FHIA18 pups last fall about 4 weeks before the first freeze. All 3 of those died. The pup is from one of the transplants. This next photo shows the holes (red arrows) left by the rotting corms. The new pup is on the right. So this was TOTALLY unexpected!

This next photo is of last years FHIA 18 mat. Those 3 stumps/corms fruited last year. They are still hard, but no pups and last years big pups have rotted away. I raked the soft & rotten mush off the corm last week with a hoe. ... Since I now have one 18 pup, I'm not digging out one of these now. I think more pups are still possible and I believe I saw some white roots around one of the corms.

The Blue Java pushed pups late last week. I had saved a Blue Java pup to the green house for a backup if I lost the mat during the winter. That pup is doing fine and will be replanted soon. Several of these are last years pups regrowing; these are this years fruiters.

Also, I transplanted 3 pups to a new mat last fall. Two of those pup died and only one came back. The red arrow point to the holes left by the rotted corms.

I transplanted 3 Fla. Williams to a new mat last fall. Two of those pups died and only only one came back. There is no growth in last years mat.

The FHIA 1 pushed a pup5 days ago and a new one in the last 24 hrs. Note also, how bad and mushy the mother corm is. ... As big as the FHIA 1 & 18 corms were I never thought I could lose these over the winter.

This is an over view of the Banana patch. This time last year the plants were standing5 & 6 ft tall. It is about 6 weeks behind last year, so fruiting anything here is going to be difficult.

Last edited by edwmax : 05-22-2018 at 09:05 AM.
edwmax is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To edwmax
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors