Thread: Space ?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Akula

Zone: Zone 9a
BananaBucks : 69,439
Said "Thanks" 2,540 Times
Was Thanked 2,381 Times in 809 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 128 Times
Default Re: Space ?

I originally planted my plants (namwa and raja puri) in March of 2017 and all my pups came up within a foot of the original plant to date. I imagine that the pups will spread out over time as the corn expands if it is not pruned/trimmed back.

I don't use landscape cloth but based on my patch (namwa) to date I would figure a foot for the original pstem and then a foot of clearance around it would provide a total circle cutout of 3 feet in diameter. That would contain the three-plant groupings (original plus two followers) in my patch to date. You might get away with a bit less depending on how active you manage the pups, pup placement, type of banana plant (footprint), etc.

I haven't really seen the need for landscape cloth in my patch. The mulch pretty much keeps all the weeds under control. I cut and bag my lawn grass and throw the clippings on the patch all summer. Only the pups push through the clippings. The lawn grass tries to send runners into the patch but I just pull them out a couple times a season and use them to patch weak spots in my yard.

Good luck!
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Akula
Said thanks: