View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 05:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
cincinnana
container grower

Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
BananaBucks : 1,021
Said "Thanks" 3,860 Times
Was Thanked 11,691 Times in 4,865 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,943 Times
Smile Re: Can I move a Musa Basjoo root ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1221 View Post
I have 3 Musa Basjoo plants I've had in the ground since 2016. They really got big last year and grew to like almost 5-6 feet of stalk with giant 4-5 ft leaves - really amazing.. I had the vision that they could line the deck and give some privacy while adding a tropical flare to the backyard during the Summer. Anyways, I have two that are kinda crowding eachother.. I don't mind but I was curious if one of them could be dug out of the ground and placed in a whole in another location if the root ball will survive.. I've never attemped to dig out the root ball before so I really don't know how this process is done. Do I just take a shovel and cut around the root ball now as the shoots are starting to push out new green growth from the brown mushy stalks that overwintered? Thanks if your read this and appreciate any tips or advice!
I try to split and move my plants in the spring to give them a chance to establish.
Youtube offers some good videos on technique and how to's to split your bananas.

Pick and choose what works best for you.

Good Luck.