View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Mudturkle

Zone: 8b, and also 9b
Name: Mudturkle
BananaBucks : 30,070
Said "Thanks" 328 Times
Was Thanked 320 Times in 120 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 5 Times
Default Re: Musa Fe’i Aiuri FOR SALE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwmax View Post
Anyway, since the plant is very slow growing it would not be easy to fruit in the zone 8B if at all.
I do hope Tytylor has great success with this.
Easy? Where's the challenge in easy? I'm just hoping that I can grow it at our place in zone 9B. I realize that I'm a beginner compared to many of you, but I'm beginning to think that we have to take what we read about a particular banana with a grain of salt. I think a lot depends on cultural practices and micro-climate. I had started a Gros Michel in 9B last year. With winter approaching I potted the main plant and left a very small pup. It was in an exposed location with no protection at all. I had read that GM is somewhat cold-sensitive, so I figured that the pup would be a goner. When I checked after winter I found that the little GM pup made it just fine. I think descriptions like "fast growing" or "slow growing" might vary with different climate, weather, altitude, soil, etc etc. But then, what do I know?